2.22.2008

Teachers 101

There are few really talented teachers in this world leaving the rest to be either utterly awful or somewhere in the middle which is usually worse (they are INCREDIBLY BORING!). The profession seems simple; plug in a video, have kids take notes, have 'em take a scantron and grade it. This spectrum is seen through the eyes of a child who has far too many "bad teachers." DA DA DA! Everyone has/had a teacher who just lets the class watch movies throughout the year and then around April or May they attempt to cram all the curriculum has instructed. I know I could name a few like that. Another bad type of teachers are those who try to teach the kids so much that it becomes TOO much. Thus half of the class has dropped out by December. I think I know a friend in one of those classes.
though there are so many awful teachers, there are also AMAZING ONES!! The ones you know you will never forget even if you lose your year book. The key to their success is being the superior at all times but still maintaining a likable subtle friendship. Example: Hippie art teacher- you know not to fool around in the class or skip, but she let's you to with art (well not skip art).
My favorite teachers are the ones that plan in advance the lessons. The ones who really care about their students and their job. The ones who you know put effort into the worksheets, lectures, comments on writings and samples. The ones who are passionate about what they wake up to do everyday. Their excitement is your excitement. They are the people who are interested in what you have to say which makes you interested in what they are saying. It truly creates a special bond between teacher and class.

Favs so far:
Boston-- so far, I've only had him for 1/2 semester
Garbooshian--- only had for 1/2 year also.
Bullough--- only teacher I've had fully and agree that he was passionate to say the least.
Hiaasen (one could argue that I'm bias but I watch her work hard every night; grading papers, making plans for the upcoming week. Also, she constantly talks about what great students she has and how "blessed" she is to have them, so clearly she cares.)--- I've only had her officially for half the year also, but in a way I would argue I've had her for 15 years.

The sad part about this is that I can only come up with four throughout my eleven years in school (counting pre-k). ouch, America.

3 komente:

Anonim tha...

am I the friend?
mrs skelton certainly fits the description.

my favorite teachers I think are...

mrs roberts (4th grade)
mrs rountree
mr audlin
mrs mabry (how can i not include janice?)
mr stranathan
mrs hiaasen = ]
mr kuhlman

that's all that comes to mind

Toni tha...

I must say that Skelton's class is definately one of those, as Taylor has mentioned.

And Janice is also one of my favourites. I, too, really liked Garbooshian. I find myself engaging in conversations with her about everything, even though I don't have her as a teacher anymore. I also wish that Mr. Domenech wasn't retiring because I wanted to have him for AP Psychology, but whatever. Mr. Phoebus is also an awesome teacher. He taught me about life more than biology, but he was still one of my favourites. Maybe some other stuff, too, but my computer wants to restart now.

A.J. tha...

last line,

it's the zinger.


and quite frankly, says it all.